In 1917, Equity Cooperative Packing Company began construction of its plant in what is now called West Fargo. In 1925, Armour and Company bought out the plant and housing for employees, which had been built north of the highway. Residents living there were asked to move from their homes, with many relocating south of the highway to form their own village.
As West Fargo industry grew rapidly on the north side of the highway, so did the population on the south side of the highway. In 1937, the area south of the highway was incorporated into the village of Southwest Fargo. At that time it was the largest village in Cass County, with a population of 538. There were 138 houses, 2 grocery stores, 10 other businesses and a doctor. Bakery and laundry wagons from Fargo made regular calls in the two municipalities.
The Village of West Fargo became a city in 1947. The area continued to grow and now included a large farm distribution center, large feed mills, a pelleting plant, manufacturers, retail, meat processing and distribution plants along with Union Stockyards.
In 1967, at a special election, the residents agreed to change the names of their two cities. West Fargo, on the north side of the highway, became West Fargo Industrial Park with Southwest Fargo, on the south side of the highway becoming the City of West Fargo.
The population of West Fargo in the 1970 census was 5,161, an increase of 55% over 1960. This growth made West Fargo the fastest growing city in North Dakota and the 13th largest. In 1974, the West Fargo Industrial Park became the city of Riverside, with a population of around 500. In 1989, the City of West Fargo and the City of Riverside consolidated to form one city, keeping the name West Fargo. The consolidation of the two cities was the first of its kind in North Dakota.
The future of West Fargo is positive, as businesses expand and residential areas grow. West Fargo is currently the 5th largest city in North Dakota. The City of West Fargo continues to be one of the fastest growing cities in the state of North Dakota. Between the years 1980-1990, West Fargo grew by 21.7%. The population of the City of West Fargo for 2000 was at 14,940 and in 2010 at 25,830. In December 2012, the population was estimated to be at 30,000.