The Business Development Department connects new and existing business owners and operators with city officials, helping to pave the way for the growth and expansion that is making West Fargo part of North Dakota’s new economic frontier. Serving as a link for the economic health of the community, the Department of Economic Development:
- Works to increase jobs and the tax base by recruiting and retaining businesses through the Business Retention and Expansion Program
- Coordinates efforts between the city and various business organizations, including the North Dakota Department of Commerce, the West Fargo Chamber of Commerce, and the Fargo Cass County Economic Development Corporation.
- Top-notch primary and secondary schools, with over 23,000 college students enrolled in our universities and colleges within the Fargo MSA.
- A knowledgeable workforce - The unemployment rate in the Fargo MSA is 3.1 percent, while elsewhere in North Dakota, rates hover around 4.1 percent.
- Pro-business climate - Low state worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance rates, no sales tax on manufacturing equipment and no personal property taxes.
The City of West Fargo works hard for businesses interested in making West Fargo their home. From securing proper sites, the planning and zoning process and identifying potential funding sources our City departments have a vested interest in your business.
We provide customized business services by working case by case with individual firms to solve both major and minor challenges that occur.Furthermore, our multi-faceted approach also means that once a business locates in West Fargo, we commit to establish a business’ staying power—regardless of the business’ size.The City of West Fargo recognizes the myriad of benefits businesses bring to our community and intend to give all the aid and resources needed to maintain a sustainable business venture in West Fargo.