November 29, 2014

History of the West Fargo Fire Department

In 1940, a group of residents in the village of Southwest Fargo saw a need for fire protection in their area. Approximately fifteen people worked together to lay the groundwork to acquire a building and equipment for a fire department. The department was funded by donations, fund drives and an annual Fireman's Ball. A single stall garage was moved on to the present location and was remodeled by the volunteer firemen. In the spring of 1941 a 1936 Ford pumper was purchased at a cost of less than $2000. In March of that year the department officially joined the North Dakota Fireman's Association. The annual dues at that time were only $5.25.