About the West Fargo Planning & Community Development Department
About the Department
The Planning and Community Development Department provides a variety of services to preserve and enhance the high quality of life offered to those who live or work in our community. We help to create and enhance a vibrant, well-planned community by supporting efforts that define and realize our community’s aspirations. The Department connects people, places, and services through innovative planning, partnerships, and forums for effective community engagement. Planning prepares and manages the City of West Fargo Comprehensive Plan and administrates zoning and subdivision regulations to guide growth and development. We collect and analyze a variety of data (land use, demographic, housing, etc.) for use in monitoring plan progress and policy making. We serve as a support staff to the City Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission and other community and metropolitan communities, task forces, and associations.
- Updating, directing, and overseeing the development and implementation of the City’s comprehensive growth and development plan.
- Staff reviews development proposals, requests for the following:
- Zoning changes
- Subdivision plats
- Retracement plats
- Planned unit Development
- Conditional use permits
- Provisions use permit
- Right-of-way dedications and vacations
- Access plans for major streets
- Building permit plans for multiple family residential, public and semi-public, commercial and industrial uses.
2012 Planning and Zoning Department Annual Report