December 11, 2017

If someone I know needs help where can I turn?

If the person is in need of immediate medical attention or pose a threat to themselves or others contact medical and law enforcement services by calling 911. A person’s medical condition takes priority over mental health or chemical dependency treatment. Law enforcement is allowed to take a person into custody for treatment and is trained in emergency commitment procedures.

If the person does not need immediate medical attention and does not pose a threat to themselves or others there are a number of options available:

  1. Employee assistance programs through their or your employer,
  2. Local treatment facilities:
  • Southeast Human Service Center, 2624 9th Ave S Fargo, 298-4500
  • Department of Veteran’s Affairs, VA Medical Center, 2101 Elm St N, Fargo, 232-3241
  • Essentia Health Emergency Department, 3000 32nd Ave S Fargo, 364-8400
  • Sanford Hospital Emergency Room, 720 4th St N, Fargo, 234-5121
  • Prairie St Johns, 510 4th St S Fargo, 701-476-7216
  • Centre Inc.,123 15th St N, Fargo, 237-3341

Someone I know needs help but refuses to seek treatment what can I do?

If you believe someone is in need of treatment but they refuse to seek help you may request the person to be evaluated. The request is made by completing ND Supreme Court SFN 17260 and submitting the completed form to the States Attorney’s Office for their action. The Cass County States Attorney’s Office is located at 211 9th St S in Fargo. They can be reached at 701-241-5850. 

I think my neighbor is selling drugs. What should I look for?

  • Excessive traffic
  • Short visits
  • Reoccurring visits from certain individuals or vehicles
  • Out of State vehicles
  • Traffic coming and going at certain times (daily, weekly or monthly)
  • Unsocial able behavior, rarely see a person outside of residence
  • Excessive window or door coverings
  • Unusual late night behavior
  • Never has garbage or trash left out for collection
  • Strong chemical type odors coming from vehicles, garages, sheds or houses.

What information should I report?

  • Note license plate numbers and description of vehicles
  • Note the times when traffic may be busiest and how long are they staying.
  • Note the frequency of reoccurring vehicle
  • -Note descriptions of individuals coming and going (Height, weight, hair color, etc.)
  • Note specific information on individuals if you know them. (Name, address, phone numbers, employer, vehicles, etc.)
  • Any information that may deal with possible drug activity!

What are the signs and symptoms of Methamphetamine use?

  • Loss of appetite and/or weight loss
  • Dramatic mood swings and aggressive behavior
  • Paranoia and alertness
  • Memory loss
  • Acne and sores
  • Elevated body temperatures and increased sweating with unusual body odor
  • Sleep deprivation
  • Loss of pleasure and severe depression
  • Excessive talking and impaired speech
  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Teeth discoloration or loss of teeth

What do I look for with Meth use?

  • Tinfoil with burn marks
  • Pen tubes
  • Cellophanes baggies with corners cut off
  • Hollowed out light bulbs and glass tubes (used for smoking)
  • Small butane torches (heat source for smoking)
  • Small scales
  • Spoons with burn marks or residue
  • Hypodermic needles
  • Small baggies or containers with rock like or powdery substance

What are some signs of Marijuana use?

  • Altered perceptions
  • Red eyes
  • Dry mouth
  • Reduced concentration or coordination
  • Euphoria
  • Laughing/giggling
  • Hunger (munchies)
  • Gain in weight
  • Impaired short-term memory

What evidence do I look for if someone is using Marijuana?

  • Cigarette rolling papers (Zigzags)
  • Pipes or bongs (all shapes and sizes)
  • Roach clips (small metal clips)
  • Dried plant material
  • Small round seeds (marijuana seeds

What can I do if I do suspect someone using drugs?

Call a Narcotics Investigator. You can call anonymously.

  • Cass County Drug Task Force P.O. Box 2665 Fargo ND 58108-2665 701-239-7126
  • West Fargo Police Department (Attn: Narcotics) 800 4th Ave E West Fargo ND 58078 701-433-5500
  • Cass County Sheriffs Department (Attn: Narcotics) 211 9th St S. Fargo ND 58103 701-241-5800
  • Fargo Police Department (Attn: Narcotics) 222 4th St N Fargo ND 58102 701-241-1415
More Information