The mission of the West Fargo Forestry Department is to promote and maintain a safe and healthy urban forest that enhances the visual appeal and environmental quality of the City of West Fargo. The West Fargo Forestry Department accomplishes this mission through public education to make the citizens aware of the great importance of tree planting and maintenance.
Tree Pruning and Maintenance
It is the duty of all persons, whether owners or tenants, to keep the shade trees along the public streets and avenues adjoining their property trimmed in such a manner that the trees shall not interfere with travel on streets, avenues and sidewalks. Tree limbs and branches must be pruned eight feet above sidewalks and fourteen feet above streets and alleys. To report a violation of sidewalk clearance, please submit Sidewalk Violation Form which can be downloaded below.
Boulevard Tree Planting
Boulevard trees can planted by the property owners by following the steps listed below
- Obtain a planting permit and select a tree that you would like to plant.
- Call the West Fargo Forestry Department at (701) 433-5408 to have a Forestry Department employee come to stake the proper location of the tree.
- Plant the tree in the newly staked location.
- Submit a tree permit, which can be downloaded below.
The following regulations must be followed when planting a boulevard tree.
- Placement of trees in the boulevard area must accommodate proper spacings. They must be twelve feet from driveways and alleys. At intersections the trees must be placed fourty feet from the point of intersection of curbs. A representative from the City of West Fargo must stake for this placement.
- Trees must be at least 1-1/4 inches in diameter. The lowest branch on the tree can not be over 9-1/2 feet above the ground.
- Only tree species on the planting permit may be planted. Other species will be in violation of city ordinances.
- North Dakota One Call Locaters should be contacted to locate all underground utilities before you plant. They can be contacted at 1-800-795-0555.
Curbside Brush Recycling
Boulevard brush chipping services are available to citizens from May through October (weather permitting). However, residents can also take branches to the West Fargo Transfer Station at 1620 West Main Avenue for free disposal. Stumps and roots should be placed out for garbage collection or hauled to the West Fargo Transfer Station. Please do not bundle branches or place branches into garbage cans. Tree limbs larger than six inches in diameter cannot be chipped.
This program is not intended to subsidize commercial tree services. City crews will not pick up any brush generated by commercial tree services. It is the responsibility of the property owner or the commercial tree service provider to haul the brush to the West Fargo Transfer station for disposal.
Diagnosis of Tree Diseases or Other Tree-Related Issues
If you are experiencing any tree problems or you have a question regarding your trees, please contact the West Fargo Forestry Department at (701) 433-5408.